Friday 29 August 2014

A tribute to Robin Williams




His infectious laugh, face-making and hilarious accents have captivated me since a young age. He has played in many movies that I love, but if I had to choose my favourite characters he has played it would be: Genie from Aladdin, English Teacher (John Keating) from Dead Poet’s society and Alan from Jumanji.
Herewith my tribute to him.

Closing the curtains.
Your final scene omits the chance for a “take two,”
there was no surprise by the compelling reviews.
But upon your final act I will no longer linger,
no longer remember.

My mirth from your life lived remains.
LF, 2014.


With my three wishes.

You know why, Genie? It’s because three wishes are too few.
That’s why within ten minutes I already used two.
Can I not use this last one to multiply my wishes?
And let the wishes stack up like loads of dirty dishes?
Well fine, I guess not.
Don’t say it again- the genie rules I most definitely have not forgot!
But give me a minute, this last one I would like perfected,
seeing that the previous two were not what I expected.

I mean, my first of three wishes, I wished for a share of Peter Pan’s magic dust
so that I could fly to Never Neverland without the unnecessary airfare fuss.
But instead I received my own, old writing desk and chair
along with this note: “climb on top, if you dare”.
Yet, without hesitation I took the call
(well I did ask to see the world, after all.)
I stood on top of the table and saw an unusual view,
O captain, my captain- no Himalayas or Grand Canyon- no! But this fresh perspective has made the world new.
My first wish ended table-high.
Never again would I see the world with the same eyes.

And my next wish also had a similar and peculiar close,
with 11 children grabbing at my red-sponged nose.
With my second wish, you know, I wished to be happy.
And in a flash, with some of your genie-magic, a doctor glared me down and said: “Make it snappy!”
Confused, I carefully peered across the white room and saw 8, 10, no 11 children staring back.
I had no clue why I was there. Then a tug on my skirt- and a soft, gentle voice said: Hi, I’m Jack.
His pale face and body looked fatigued from four weeks chemo,
they all have forgotten how to smile (one of the reasons being due to the green hospital jello).
I placed my hands in my coat pockets and just kept standing there in the middle of the floor.
Then strangely, my right-hand sensed a soft, light, gently springy-thingy that wasn’t there before.
I took it out to examine it, sponge-like with a slit at one end and red as a rose,
Little Jack said nothing he only placed his pointer finger on the tip of his nose.
Slowly I brought it up towards my face,
I placed it on. Lifted my head. You would have heard a pin-drop in that place...
 But then, quite a surprise
they felt comforted by the odd disguise.
And stampedes of laughter bellowed from the children’s beds.
They were giggling so much that they forgot about their clean-shaven heads.
I understood then, Genie, what you said before: “treat the person and not the disease
And you’ll always win guaranteed.”

Two wishes gone, and the world is more clear,
And I now know what it means to spread some cheer.

Finally, the time has come to use my last wish of three,
With it, Genie, I set you free.
LF, 2014.

xxx
From the madness-loving millions
RIP Robin Williams.




1 comment:

  1. In the poem: With my three wishes, I refer to eight of his movies. Can you spot them?

    ReplyDelete